Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dancing about Architecture

A few years ago, I read this quote: 
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."  Maybe it was Nick Lowe or Elvis Costello.  He was expressing a frustration about music writing-implying that the written word cannot do his music justice.
Well, I think he was right, but in a different way.  Because this summer I have began to see how all these fields are so related, it's almost silly.  If I said 'In my job, I must take into account rhythm, structure, pattern, and context', who am I?  Writers, Musicians, Dancers and Architects share the creative process, and to some extent, must please others with their work in order to be successful.  At some point, I have been or will be each of these people, and the more I draw upon the lessons learned in one field and apply them to another, the more successful I think I will be.
Now, I see architecture everywhere.  While watching Sewing with Nancy on OPB, hearing her talk about the structure of a garment, and how certain pieces of fabric hold up the other pieces so it will all fit properly and look right- I never thought about sewing that way, but it is how I am being trained to think, as an architect.  
Ironically, now that I am in architecture school, I have no time for my other hobbies!  But there is no doubt I will be thinking about architecture during my next sewing or cooking project.

No comments:

Post a Comment